Tuesday 2 December 2014

How to store your bike, in style

Ideally we all have big, commodious and safe bike storerooms, with enough space for everyone's bikes and no limitations to how many bikes you can have (n+1, right?). Easily accessible from two directions, and why not equipped with a pump and some useful tools too? Hands up everyone, who has such a storeroom and does not live in a terraced house, villa, manor or a castle! Yeah, exactly.

I don't either. And that's why last night I drilled up two large metal hooks on one of my walls, for my most expensive/valuable bike to hang on. Yes, I store one of my bikes in my flat. And no, it's really not the most aesthetic, good-looking or even the most practical solution but it makes me sleep better. I kind of have to store it vertically since there are wires running along the top tube .


There are, however, some really good-looking solutions for storing your bike in your flat. Kind of expensive too, but hey! D.I.Y! (Or, if you can afford them, buy them anyway and dig the fact that you're supporting designers that design cool, bike-friendly furniture.)

Here we go:

The first one is Solo, from Cycloc. The UK Design Counsil says that "The Cycloc is a minimalistic triumph of form, function and social awareness". Social awareness? Anyway it is both praised and common (at least that's the impression I have gotten). To be honest I'm not that into it, I think it looks like a potty... But if you're into it, it's £59.95 (about €76) + shipping from here.




But this one is really nice! Yeah, because I love wood. It's The Bike Shelf, by American company Knife & Saw. It costs $299 (about €240) + shipping, so it's really expensive but... again, really nice. Much respect to Chris Brigham, who is Knife & Saw. You can order The Bike Shelf here.




The last one that I like is The BookBike by BYographia. I haven't been able to find that much information about neither The BookBike nor BYographia. It's really (I mean really) expensive, though. In 2012 it cost $3600 (about €2900), according to a couple of different web sites. (Just do a search on it.) Apart from the price the only objection I have is that I wouldn't go for a white case since it would get dirty really quick. (And seriously: White tyres?) But it's still both innovative and good-looking!



Ride safe! And store your bikes safe too!

No comments:

Post a Comment